Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy GMR's birthday!

Jed arrived from Atlanta this afternoon, and Pat invited us up for 4th of July barbecue. She and India had made a real feast, really good barbecued pork, superfine potato salad, good crunchy slaw and celery stalks, great little Italian loaves (I think they were Italian), beans, and the deliciousest strawberry/banana pudding I've ever put in my whole mouth! Plus iced tea, and wine for those who were so inclined.

Buffy, Jason and Reedy were there, and Jed and I arrived just as the table got set to eat. Hmmm. Good timing. India seemed in jolly spirits, and the Agans appeared their usual happy selves. At least, they make me happy to look at and listen to them. During the meal, Cousin Donnie Nock made a welcome appearance. I swear, that boy looks exactly like Tom and Bernice both, and how that can be, I don't know. "That boy" is only about 58 years old. He was worried about one of his daughters, the 17-year-old, said she has an ear infection.

India played some of her songs for us on her guitar, and sang some, and Pat strummed a bit herself. It was just the best, most cheerful day I've had in a long time, after a rude start for me; I slept too long, from 7:00 yesterday evening until nearly 6:00 this morning, and it took a comparably long time for me to get awake and into a civilized mood. But the afternoon made up for it. I love my kinfolks, and I hope y'all love y'alls's.

I guess Donnie really looks more like Bernice and Uncle Andrew, but you can tell he's Tom Nock's son, too. Gretchen and all the Hawk Hill cats were doing well. Reed demonstrated his southpaw tendencies by hurling first the ice cube he was playing with and then his empty glass, with resulting sweeping up (by Jason) of the broken glass. Really fun, altogether.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh no! I missed seeing Donnie Nock again!! Y'all should have brought him down here.

Joanne Cage said...

I kept wishing you and Vann would appear, and Andie and Jesse. That would have made the day just about perfect. I loved your post about Daddy. We are so blessed, you know?

I picture Mama and Daddy and my Jenny "sitting at the feet of Jesus," and it makes me sing. Jenny asked me, in one of her bed-ridden days, if I thought it was too late for her, and I told her all she had to do was ask Jesus to save her. I trust that she did.