Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Thirteenth Tale

Wow! I think I need to read it again, so I'll at least have an opinion about who was who.

4:45 p.m. - I read over the last part of the book, and I think I've got "Emmeline" figured out.

Like Bel Canto, the denouement to this one doesn't ring true. The ghost of Margaret's twin was always just her reflection in a mirror or other glass. All the other "ghosts" in the book turned out to be real people. Margaret (the narrator) didn't show any signs of being touched in the head until the end, when the real ghost of her sister walked in. Maybe she was dreaming. Go figure.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I knew who was who by the end of the book, but she really had me hopping around during the last half trying to guess who was who and what was what. I love that book.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Or maybe it was the real ghost of her twin, which according to the book, is her other half. But I do think that the author made too big an effort in the end to give Margaret a bigger part in the story.