Thursday, June 4, 2015

"'. . . I am afraid no vampires can be allowed on board.'"

"'This is a sloth,' said Stephen, smiling at him. 'A three-toed sloth, the most affectionate, discriminating sloth you can imagine!' The sloth turned its round head, fixed its eyes on Jack, uttered a despairing wail and buried its face again in Stephen's shoulder, tightening its grip to the strangling-point." -- Patrick O'Brian, HMS Surprise, page 158.
*
I worked all morning on a drink of rum--I mean, a couple of Cokes. Did three loads of laundry, ironed some, shopped for groceries, and then slept a couple of hours in the afternoon.

I'm glad I read "everything" while speed-reading was easy for me. Now it seems I can't read for more than a few minutes until I'm exhausted.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

It's probably the internet. I find myself checking the web every few pages, even when I'm reading the best books.