Wednesday, March 16, 2016

". . . Under a Cabbage-head"

Sometimes when something makes me sad, it starts some old sad song ringing in my head. Yesterday it was "Go tell Aint Rhody, her old gray goose is dead." The juxtaposition of the pitiful song with my situation strikes me funny, and then I'm not sad any more. At least not as sad.

*

Another "Wish I'd Had My Camera"
One day I was driving down that little street from Montevallo Road to the Parkway, and a young black man was walking on the left side of the road. Close behind him walked two geese (or maybe they were ducks), one that looked much like the picture above. The one walking closest to the young man, almost on his heels, was the scariest-looking animate object that I've ever seen in my life.

It looked sort of like this, but looked as if it had been starved and run over by a truck several times. One of its eyes was off to the side, and the feathers on top of its head stood up as if it had been plucked. I paused the car, staring at that entourage, and the young man looked at me questioningly. I said, "Look behind you," and he turned around and shooed the geese. I drove on.

No comments: