Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Life and Adventures of Nat Love****

The book I'm reading now is The Life and Adventures of Nat Love, the autobiography of a former slave. After the War, Nat's father rented land from the "old Master" and the family started farming and raising tobacco. But after a year or so, Nat's father and older sister died, leaving him a young boy as head of the rest of the family. At age 15 he took off up the old Chisholm Trail to become a cowboy, Indian fighter, rodeo champion, and towards the end a Pullman conductor.

But Nat Love tells of life as a slave before he started all those later adventures. One way the slave children had fun was staging rock fights, in which two groups threw rocks at each other until one side ran away. Reading about that reminded me of something I think of now and then: Doug and I engaged in at least one rock fight that I remember.

Some of the Walker children hid behind a big sheet of roofing tin, up on the bank between their house and our storm pit, and piled up their rocks to throw. Doug and I hid behind a big metal wheelbarrow beside the well, across the clay road from the Walkers' bank, and gathered up some rocks to throw. I don't think anybody got hit. I was just practicing trying to throw hard enough to hit their tin barrier, but I dimly remember accidentally hitting someone who was out in the clear. Or maybe I dreamed it.

Jim and Doug and I used to catch tiny little fish in a creek and cook them over an open fire creekside. What fun we had!(?)

4 comments:

Deb said...

Being an only child for 10 years, I never had adventures like this! I am glad no one got injured, expect maybe that one person you might have hit!
Nat sounds like a person I would have loved to talk to. The stories he could have shared. I am sure there were many people that had these types of lives and were filled with stories.
Write all of your stories down. It is so important. I miss my grandparents and my mom and dad so very much. Their stories, all of which I am sure I never knew, are what keep me going some days.
Hugs and love 💖
Happy Thanksgiving!

Joanne Cage said...

Thanks for posting, Deb. When I try to write stories, I get disgusted with myself. Prose that I write doesn't sound natural.

JD Atlanta said...

I decided to buy a copy, and then I found out that the Kindle edition is ... free. Maybe that's only for Amazon Prime members, but I just got my copy. :-)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082VL1NO/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Also, I've read your prose and it's excellent.

Joanne Cage said...

Thank you, too, J.D. - Love you!