Monday, March 1, 2010

Master and Commander, and Post Captain

The article on mules actually tied in with the Jack Aubrey books, as Dr. Maturin rode a mule over the Spanish landscapes. Other animals also figure into some of the stories, particularly a bear. Some of Maturin's preposterous schemes and scheming make me wonder if he valued Capt. Aubrey more as a close friend, or more as an object of fun. Of course, they loved each other like brothers; I guess it's just that Stephen had a spark of the devil in him, which in Jack Aubrey was altogether missing. Except when it came to warfare.

Aubrey thought nothing of chopping off heads and running swords through men in battle. Yet when a robber accosted him in the dark, Aubrey accidentally injured the man seriously as he knocked him down, then picked him up and toted him home for Maturin to patch up.

5 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Hey Mom!

Glad you enjoyed the soup. I had a bowl myself last night. I also have the next two Aubry books for you when you are ready. I wish I was reading them for the first time!

As for Aubry, there are some good musings on his friendship with Maturin in some of the later books that are interesting. And unlike a lot of characters in series novels, they both change and develop over time.

Jed

Ramey Channell said...

I think you people are out of my league; maybe I need to read the books.

I recently read a really good though very strange book about ships titled The Terror, by Dan Simmons. It's based on true incidents of some bunch of truly unfortunate explorers in the Arctic in the late 1800s, I think. I haven't checked out the true history, so I don't know how much is fact. But it's very bizarre.

Without giving anything away, I would like to say that after suffering with the characters through the whole book, and thinking that I really didn't want to be reading about these guys struggling in sub-zero temperatures, when I read the last chapter, I said "Oh, this is what the whole book is about." All the rest seemed to be prologue to the final chapter, which is magical and awesome.

Joanne Cage said...

I think you (Ramey) would like the Master and Commander books. The movie with Russell Crowe and that other guy (forgot his name) is good, but the books are much better.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Don't know about the books, but I'd sure like to have some of that soup. Almost stopped yesterday afternoon to get some when I took my car to Tameron because I thought something was wrong with it, but nothing was. but it was so cold and messy, I didn't stop. Anyway, I have some of my Santa Fe soup in the freezer.

Joanne Cage said...

Soup is only a comestible, but a good book is a READ! An EXPERIENCE! It makes you bigger.

Well, I guess something like that could be said for soup.