Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fairhope, Alabama

The winnahs--my baby sister and me! No, that's not Mary Ramey on the right, it just looks like her.
Beautiful fountain in the park beside the Bay.
Beautiful roses.
Beautiful tree.
Beautiful people. Ramey and Jed.
*
Not to mention the beautiful birds--Pelicans, little black birds and their houses up on poles, and the prettiest seagulls in the world, I'll bet. I just couldn't get good photos of them.
*
The event was the spring awards meeting of the Alabama State Poetry Society. I won a first prize, a second prize, two third prizes and two honorable mentions. Ramey won a first prize and an honorable mention. If she had entered more poems, she would have won more--I don't just think so, I know it.
*
My Walt Whitman poem won second prize in its category. It contains the best line I've ever written: "I [Walt Whitman] will give  you antidotes to fear and loneliness."

4 comments:

Deb said...

Oh my goodness! I am so happy for you both! I knew you would win! Tons of hugs, for you both! Hug Jed, seeing he drove!
Have a good day!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Congratulations to my talented, funny, smart, wonderful sisters. I'm so proud of y'all.

Ramey Channell said...

Your Walt Whitman poem is fantastic! The best poem ever read at Alabama State Poetry! Too bad your sister, Ramey, has those funny legs both growing in the same direction!

Joanne Cage said...

Man, if I had those legs, I'd be Miss America!