Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tempus fugit, faster and faster

These Brief Days

Life travels with the speed of light;
No sooner Monday than it’s Sunday–
A whole week gone, and it seems like one day!
Why do we name the days that fly
Like racing clouds across the sky?
Calling names won’t slow their flight.
Adam and Eve and all your kin,
This is how you’re paying for original sin.
In the garden–

In the garden,
Morning felt like forever;
Noon was time enough to walk
From the northwest corner of the north forty
To the southeast of the south.
In the garden a girl could grow up
In a single April afternoon
Under the apple blossom sprays, heavy,
Heavy with honey-scented white
And (suspicion being all that ever slept)
When the golden fruit
Weighed down the golden boughs,
Might feast in silver shadows,
Veiled from any troubled gaze.

A gentle comedy, unthinking players!
How could the apple stir our brains
Into the folly of naming these brief days?
We string them together in wilted daisy chains
And set them winding on time’s blurred wheel,
Whirling too fast for us to see
The worm at the core, the serpent at our heel.

By Joanne Cage, October 1979

*
I guess Jed's still in California. I've slept much of the time since he left here on Saturday, to keep from worrying about him. "If God had meant for man to fly," etc.

Susie is giving "Sister Supper" again tonight. I think I'll do that in May. Hope I've got the house in better shape by then.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I remember this poem - it is a very good one. I'm still in California today and tomorrow, flying home on Thursday. Flying is actually kind of restful. I'm staying across the street from the beach, and that's nice, too - about as good as a work trip gets!

Deb said...

What a beautiful poem. Life does go so very fast sometimes. I can't believe my baby will be 13 in September. It feels just like yesterday when I brought her home from the hospital. Makes one feels very old sometimes...
I don't like flying. I much rather take a train. I rode many a train when I lived in Europe.We need more trains in this country. It might solve some of the problems we have.
Good grief do I sound dismal this morning!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs...

Ramey Channell said...

Wonderful vivid poem. Another unbelievable rendering!