Thursday, January 31, 2013

Stunned

Monday night's poetry reading was a blast. Doris and I were the first ones there, and for a while it seemed we might be the only ones, but people started trickling in until we had a good little crowd. Our poet-artist Sherry read a beautiful winter piece, as full of color as a painting. Frank's "Mayan" poem seemed somewhere between a scold and a paean to life-as-it-is: Live life as it comes and don't worry about the end.

I was rendered speechless by their reception of my poem "Je Reviens." Joan said to leave the title in French. Her own poem was, as always, a keen reflection of her beautiful home by the river. Beth read one restating all her usual new year's resolutions, sort of tongue-in-cheek. And of course, Joe W. brought a couple of brilliant gems.
*

Old Maid's Ramble, one of the best quilts I've ever made. It measures, including the sashing and border, about 14 inches square.

(We've got our "Browse" function back!)

*

One of the most exciting group conversations I've ever heard in a  movie:

"What does that mean?"

"He's offering him a draw."

"Josh is offering him a draw!"

(The movie is "Searching For Bobby Fischer")

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I don't think I've seen that quilt, and I'm intrigued. 14 inches is very small. Means some of those pieces are tiny. Can't wait to see it in person.