Friday, September 5, 2014

Spinoza: A Very Short Introduction


Baruch Spinoza (1632-77) was a descendant of Spanish Jews. He lived in the Netherlands, and his "philosophy" is about what one would expect of such a one--a "strange dark theism," to quote the author of this book. With the influence, long-lasting and deep, of Judaism and Islam, and his more recent lifestyle of Christianity, it's a wonder the poor fellow knew what to think when the Renaissance more or less freed European man's mind. I find his theses to be more political than philosophical, and maybe self-contradictory, and maybe not. I think I agree with one thing he said (quoting this author):

". . . there is no wrongdoing (peccatum) in a state of nature. Only when there is sovereignty (imperium) is there justice and wrongdoing, both of which are therefore artefacts of man's political condition."

This sort of corresponds to my feeling about Cain (grief). And, for that matter, Adam and Eve (lack of astonishment).

This book is only 118 pages long. It took me a long time to read it, because for me, reading philosophy is like trying to read an insurance policy. Through repeated repetition, they try so constantly to cover what they've already said, that the mind rebels.
*
Well, I Never!
I usually sit with my legs crossed. I suppose that's what accounts for the big red spot I discovered on the back of each of my legs, just below the knee.  I guess it doesn't matter.

No comments: