Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Happy Holidays!


 
 
Santa already left me one stocking-stuffer:

Little cheater bottle, probably 8 oz.

Friday night I went to the ER with my bronchitis. They put me in the UAB hospital until Sunday and made it a lot better. They did a pretty thorough workup on my old bones, and said aside from minor problems, I seemed to be okay. I thought, if I'm in such good shape, why the ____ do I feel so lousy.  One of the best things to come out of the episode, was that they prescribed me some nicotine patches, and I haven't smoked any since Friday. No major craving, just a sort of lonesome feeling. Awkward. Don't know what to do with my hands.

One of the doctors remarked upon my scoliosis. No one else has seemed to notice it since my college PE instructor noticed it, and a doctor in Huntsville diagnosed it. My right-side bones are bigger than the left side, which makes me walk crooked. When I walk. But you don't have to call me Richard.

Jed came over Saturday and stayed until yesterday. If he hadn't, I might not have made it through. He brought me a stack of the best Nero Wolfe books, and I'm reading the very best one, The Black Mountain.

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

There are good Nero Wolfe books, but "The Black Mountain" and "In The Best of Families" are classic. I love those books.

Glad you're feeling better, and I'm glad you've stopped smoking! I know it won't be easy, but the longer you stick to it, the easier it will get. And if you fall of the wagon (I hope you don't, but if you do), then quit again! The people who successfully quit smoking and the ones who don't backslide at the SAME rate. The ones who manage to quit are the ones who stay optimistic and try again and again. I know you can do it!

Love you - Jed

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Glad you're better.