Thursday, May 24, 2018

Late Arrival

I had given up on a book I ordered through Amazon. They emailed me that it had shipped on May 7. I didn't worry too much, as it didn't cost anything except a bunch of earned "points." It finally did arrive today, a hard-cover book that looks new, The Dawn Watch: Joseph Conrad in a Global World.


I can already tell that it's wonderful, with illustrations of Conrad's family and travels every few pages. I flipped through and read a couple of pages telling about his marriage. But I didn't really start reading from the beginning. I need to finish The Hobbit before I begin another book.

This is the first book I've been excited about in months. It includes parts about Stanley and Livingstone, and about King Leopold's atrocities mentioned in Vachel Lindsay's poem. Conrad lived from 1857 to 1924.

3 comments:

Deb said...

What a great sounding book! I haven't thought of Stanley and Livingston in years! I need to see if my library carries this.
Hope you have a nice Memorial Day weekend. Any plans, besides reading?
Hugs and love 💖

Joanne Cage said...

Hey, Deb. This is a new book (2017). I hope you can find it. (((((Hugs!)))))

Deb said...

They have it! I placed a hold on it, so I should get it next week! I am looking forward to this!