Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"I dream of a red rose tree,

...and which of its roses three
is the dearest rose to me?" - Robert Browning
~

This is the prettiest thing I've ever grown, and one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. Even back when Julius and I grew camellias, I never saw one as pretty as this simple, single red rose. The single cane is full of buds, and I need to move it away from the pink rose bush. Moving roses is very difficult and risky--for me, at least.

It's planted too close to the pink (Cecile Brunner). I've forgotten the name of the red rose, but "rose is a rose is a rose," to quote a female whom I hate to quote.
~
I've ordered a couple of plants, or more than a couple, from Breck's. Some of them will be shipped in the next month. I've already fixed it with Steve for his crew to clean out the yard under the trees; the leaves are calf-deep where they haven't been mowing, of course because there isn't any grass, and dead limbs all over the ground. I went out there this morning and pulled some more dead limbs out of one tree. I also pulled dead limbs out of the foliage across the back, so Steve's guys will (I hope) clean those up, too. Jerry might want them to save for kindling for his fireplace.
~







~

~The two bunches of plants that I'll have to plant this spring/summer are three astilbes in different colors to put in the front flower beds, and a bunch of lily-of-the-valley bulbs that I'll put in big planters
~
Actually, all I plan to put in the back right away (as soon as they clean it up) is all the spider wort I can dig out of Pat's yard and transfer to the bank that the Atchisons built to keep out rain-overflow from the drainage ditch, for a sort of rock garden
~
But for fall planting, I've ordered a few colored irises (for the front of the house), some winter aconite (tiny yellow flowers) for a ground-cover patch in back, and a bunch of small white Dutch irises that will grow in the shade of the trees.




No comments: