Thursday, April 2, 2009

To cough or not to cough, that is the problem.

It's funny, I sing all the time when I'm by myself. I mean constantly, and I never cough. So I always assume I can get up in front of a crowd and talk with never a bobble. So yesterday when I started reading my poems, I (as usual) suddenly panicked and thought, "Oh, no, I hope I don't start coughing!" Then I had to get Pat to read my poems for me, as I couldn't speak without coughing.

Maybe I need to talk in the same register or pitch that I sing in.

Anyway, Bonnie Ann came, and Sally Freind. And Kathleen Thompson, who reminded me that we remembered each other from Ala. State Poetry society. It was fascinating to me, listening to Pat read 20 of my old poems. They sound better than they look when I just read them to myself.

One time Mrs. Layfield was at our house, and she read some of my poems aloud. Daddy said, "They are good when she reads them!" Although it wasn't an unqualified compliment, I've never had a prouder moment in my life.

Before the coughing fit, I talked for 15-20 minutes about writing poetry. During that time, it didn't occur to me to hope I wouldn't cough, so I didn't. Cookie Freind writes poems, too, and she wanted to know about the mechanics--rhyme schemes, rhythm, etc. I told her I'd send her a copy of the back section of one of my old lit. books that has all that, so I have to remember to send it to her.

Kathleen and I exchanged chapbooks. I read hers when I got home. Her poems are subtle, musical, deep, and very good.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I heartily recommend guafeniesen, hot tea, and no smoking! Your poems are fabulous!

Your Sis