Saturday, October 8, 2011

Southern Snow Dance

*
Beloved, let us make our Christmas white.
Let us invent a conjure more complex,
a chant, or many-patterned morris-dance,
to coax the icy hexagons to fall:
on every fence-post, see in our mind's eye
a pyramid of snowflakes; on each roof
a blanket blue-white in the morning light;
and every blade of grass in crystal bloom.
And if we, in our air-cooled southern room,
perfect our fervent prayer or pagan hex,
perhaps our childhood dreams of snow, by chance,
may come to pass to bless us after all,
and Santa, sleigh-borne from the winter sky,
spring earthward to the dance of tiny hoofs.

by JRC, 10/08/11

*
"I've got to admit, it's getting better, a little better all the time." I mean, I'm feeling better.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Wow - I think I understand a tiny bit better some of the things you've told me about poetry over the years. Wow.

It was beautiful today, but possible to think about snow.

And I'm glad you are feeling better!

Jed

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I guess i just didn't get the poetry gene in this family. But I got the love-of-snow gene. LET IT SNOW!

Ramey Channell said...

Cute poem! Well, it's really not good to refer to a poem as cute... So, excellent poem!