Monday, March 5, 2012

"Camille Saint-Saens was racked with pains. . .

When people addressed him as 'Saint-Saines;'
He held the human race to blame/ Because it could not pronounce his name."

I sort of felt that way, too, for a large part of my life, when people addressed me as Rahmay, Rainey, Ramsey, Cade, Cagle, Case, Cates, Caine, Chee, Gage, or Page. I don't mind about the thousands--well, maybe dozens--of nicknames based on my first names. But the surnames I have borne (I use that word deliberately) have taken up many moments of my life spent in spellings, corrections and explanations. But now it's all right. Frankly, Scarlett, you can call me anything you like. But you don't have to call me Jackson.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I share your pain! I have been Ramsey, Rainy, Randy, Rennie, Mrs. Dwyer, Mrs. Channel, and Mrs. Connel. Nowadays, I'm mostly Ramsey Channel. But no Jackson!