Monday, May 7, 2012

Another Guy's Poison

My lunch today was a big tray of grilled vegetables. Unfortunately, I shook on a little too much Zesty Italian, and about three-quarters through the tray, I had to throw the stuff out. All I could taste was oil. If your mama ever made you swallow a dose of castor oil, you'll understand why I've always been a little bit leery of oil of any kind. Lucky for them, by the time Susan and Ramey came along, Mama had discovered that castor oil is poison.

Ricky Reed is outside cutting down dead shrubbery and mowing grass. To the tune of another C-note. "Oh, time, life, cash and patience!" Or something like that. Quoting Herman Melville or Samuel Johnson.

2 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

Au contraire! By the time I came along, Dr. Edwards was prescribing strawberry flavored castor oil! Needless to say, the irky sweet strawberry flavor did nothing to hide the horrible castor oil flavor. But since Dr. Edwards was prognosticating my imminent death every time I darkened his doorstep, the castor oil was but one of many elixirs I injested in hopes of prolonging my piddly life.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

My stupid obstetrician had me drink castor oil to induce labor before Kenney was born. I thought I would die. But I don't think Mama ever gave me castor oil. Daddy tried to give me mineral oil in my milk one time, but I wouldn't drink it. He thought he was sneaking it on me.