Saturday, July 13, 2013

Satterfield Ghosts

I woke up with a theory about the ghosts in the Hammond's Camp house. At the time all those phenomena were phenoming, Lawrence had a job, so Mary and Alfred had to be teenagers. It could have been a simple case of poltergeists. If ever any teenagers could cause dippers to move around in waterbuckets, or invisible animals to fall from the ceiling, or women to scream in the attic and whisper under the furniture, or mirrors to become opaque--can't you imagine it was these two little scoundrels?



Good theory, except that it doesn't say why, years later, Ginger dog wouldn't go near the house farther than the edge of the yard, and would sit there growling. Or why as a toddler I was trying to take a nap in the front room, and suddenly was frozen with fear.

3 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

I wish we could have that photo of Mama and Alfred restored. I've never noticed it before, but it looks like there is another child standing behind Alfred, you can just see the dress and maybe part of her hair. Wonder who that was.

I've always thought the "ghost" or "ghosts" were there from years past, maybe before the house was built. I've never been able to make up my mind if I believe in the adolescent-generated poltergeist theory.

Joanne Cage said...

Yes, I see the little girl. And right above her head there's another face.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I still don't see anybody except Mama and Alfred. One of us should write a book about that house.