Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child . . .

But yesterday I woke up feeling like eighty is the new sixty. So I gathered up most of the boxes of stuff left over from the newly-wed dolls' house, and planned Grandma Gray's old house for the empty bookcase. I miss some things that are not there, so I know there's more hidden away somewhere. And all the people who live at Graymont are present and accounted for: Alex, Miranda, Camilla, Peter, Little Joe, Grandma Buff-Orpington, Billy Bones, Cook, Beau, Lucinda, Mrs. Gudenov and her daughter, Tiny, the three sooner hounds, the cow, even a ghost or two.

Actually, Grandma B.-O. doesn't live here; she has an apartment in town, but she spends a lot of time with the family.

Ned, Beauty, Maybelle, Dolly, Spot, the Mama cat and two kittens, and Kitty are at the new house.

Graymont will have six levels:
1. The gardens, service yard and garages
2. The kitchen, butler's pantry, and conservatory
3. The dining room, living room and library
4. Bedroom, bathroom, guest room
5. Day nursery, nurse's room, bathroom
6. Children's rooms and attic
*
I didn't go to book club on Thursday, because it was so cold outside it put the fear in me. I've been sick, and I don't want to repeat the process any time soon.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I wish I had an empty bookcase to do this. I need more bookcases, not less! Not complaining, as there never will be to many books. Stay warm and don't go out. Our winter has been odd;warm to below zero to middle of winter temps. I just mostly stay in and crochet, read and sew. I'm glad you had a good birthday dinner. Say hi to Jed for me.
Hugs and kisses,
Deb
P.S. The hugs and kisses are for you, not Jed. That would be weird, as I don't normally hug and kiss strange men,not that Jed is strange. I'll stop now, this just keeps sounding worse.

Joanne Cage said...

Hey, Deb! Jed isn't strange, he's just preoccupied.

I don't know why the dollhouses are so fascinating to me. Maybe because growing up I never had a room of my own. But I did like all but one of the dozen houses we lived in. Maybe it would be an ideal hobby for you; you could crochet rugs and afghans, make little quilts, etc.

Each of my sisters has a dollhouse, both smaller and more modern than mine and therefore neater. I've never been neat.

Love you -- you're the sweetest one!