Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dog-gone!

As usual, I didn't remember that I had a camera until the dogs were gone. Dave came by to show me two dogs, 8-month-old Carly the German shepherd, and a white-and-black pit bull puppy to die for. But they were just to show, and to tell me that he bought Carly for $300 (half on credit), and that "the man" wants $150 for the puppy. This was a relief to me, because I really didn't want a German shepherd, although she's one of the prettiest dogs I've ever seen in my life and tried to climb all over me. And I don't want a puppy of any kind.

I want an older dog, already trained and wanting to go outside only twice a day. And healthy, with all the shots and bells and whistles. And not quite big enough to eat me out of house and home.

But if I could afford to fence my half-acre back yard, I would want the biggest, prettiest dog I could find of any age. That sounds like a collie or a Great Pyrenees. Or an old Basset hound. Or one of each.

*

Ramey and I went to the LAC poetry group meeting last night. Had a group of ten people, although the weather wasn't pretty. Monday night I watched the second episode of "War and Peace." I had forgotten what a good story it really is. Pierre Bezukhov is one of the most sympathetic characters in literature, and I'm glad they got a cute, innocent-looking actor to play the part.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I want all the dogs I see, especially the i else's ones--and I can't keep up with the two In have.

Unknown said...

Dear Ms. Cage,
If you're looking for a good breed to hang around the house, please consider a Boxer. They are the most amiable of dogs, and even when grown, are quite content to snuggle with you on the couch. I agree that puppies can be quite a handful, but there are plenty of Boxers in need of adoption from Boxer rescue organizations. Why such a wonderful breed would need a rescue society of their own is beyond me, but there are many. I've had Labrador Retrievers (both pure-bred and Lab-mixes from shelters) all my life and had always believed them to be the most perfect of dogs...until I got a Boxer of my own. I am completely and totally, foolishly in love with this dog.
Sincerely,
Donna Grant