Thursday, February 4, 2016

Dirndl

I dreamed that Mama said, "Let's both make us a dirndl skirt."

I expect it's because I spent yesterday hunting up all the 1-1/2-inch fabric squares that I've cut out over the years. Which was such a waste of effort--the cutting, I mean. There are so much easier ways to make quilt pieces, than drawing and cutting out little individual squares.

Anyway, I looked up dirndl in Wikipedia. The term is complicated, but it turns out that it originally meant a young girl, in German. I dislike ugly words. You almost have to say "dirndl" with your mouth closed.

1 comment:

Deb said...

It is actually the traditional skirt-with-bib attire that are worn mostly for traditional holiday celebrations. While we didn't see many dirndls in Berlin, they were everywhere in Bad Aibling, which is in the Alpine region. My 2 middle girls, Ashleigh and Rebeccah, had them when they were young. If you go to www.ernstlicht.com/12-ladies-clothing/97-ladies-dirndls, there are examples. They really just look like a dress with a full skirt and an attached apron. They always make me think of Octoberfest and Heidi.