Tuesday, February 2, 2016

John Gardner, 1933-1982

I've read his Grendel, Gilgamesh, and The Sunlight Dialogues, and now I'm reading The Life and Times of Chaucer. The photo is from the Wikipedia article about his life.

I am amazed at the extent of his writing, and his genius. But you can't envy someone whose life was haunted by terrible memories and nightmares, as his was.

*

Today is my first "pajama day" in a long time. I ran all over the place yesterday, paying bills, mailing stuff, and buying--a loaf of bread! I once said, "I wish I could go into a store and buy a loaf of bread, without spending fifty dollars." Well, yesterday I did it. I had shopped for groceries over the weekend, but forgot that item. I have a dental appointment tomorrow, but today I'm incognito, secluded, and unreachable.

*

[Scream!] About five minutes ago, there was a rainbow in my back yard, under the oak trees. About a quarter of a circle. By the time I got the camera, it was nearly gone and didn't photograph very well. It goes across the white house, and you can see a light trail of it down to the ground.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I didn't see the rainbow the first time I looked at this, but tonight I see it.