Friday, June 29, 2018

Outside the Magic Circle****

The Autobiography of Virginia Foster Durr


"Life has a strange irony. You fight for something--like the right to vote in the South. Give the Negroes and the poor folks the right to vote. And you win. And then they elect George Wallace."

Mrs. Durr's exasperation and many other attitudes abound in this excellent [my opinion] account of politics in Alabama, roughly from the 1930's through the '60's.  I say excellent, because it is readable, un-put-downable.  The last section of the book really spoke to me, because I lived through some of it, and it mentions several of the characters I knew, sympathetic and otherwise.

Southerners love nicknames. A choice one in this book is Dinkydonk, a daughter (Constantia) of Jessica Mitford. Jessica herself was called Decca.







4 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Do you have a copy? I would like to read it.

Deb said...

Dinkydonk? My goodness, what a nickname!
I am glad we have books like this. It makes us remember how things were, whether good or bad. It is our country's history and it teaches us what to do in running our country in the future.
Have you heard what they have done to Laura Ingalls Wilder? What she wrote about is how things were seen then, not now. We can read these type of books and change things for our future. It is how things were looked at in the past. I don't agree with it, yet it is how things were.
My, have I rambled on!!
I hope you are doing well. No more falls?
Are you having a heat wave still? We are, plus humidity. I must go to the Dr on Monday. Staying indoors except for that!
Hugs and kisses 💖

Joanne Cage said...

Deb - I hope your doctor appointment turns out okay. I hope you're not sick now. This book was published in 1976, I believe, so it's probably in libraries or maybe online. I'll check out Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Deb said...

No, not sick. I need to lose some weight so I can get this hip replaced. My health care has a weight program that helps, without surgery. Dietician, gym that helps people with physical limitations, etc. Great place and it works with my surgeon, so I'm happy with them.
Hope you're weather is not as humid as ours. It has been unreal here!
Hugs 💖