Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Torn Curtain

I go along thinking nothing bad can happen to me, as if there's a protective shield between me and harm. Well, somebody found a hole in it yesterday about 5:30 p.m. I was coming out of CVS into the near-empty parking lot about dark, with my keys and wallet in my left hand and several bags in my right, when a tall skinny person in an Alabama jacket and red cap came up and said, "Do you have a few dollars I can have to buy gas?" While I stood there with my mouth open, she snatched my wallet out of my hands, broke two of my fingernails, and skedaddled around the back of the stores.
~
All that rigamarole, the police are pretty sure they know the person, blah blah, and I'm using a copy of the police report as a driver's license. I'm thankful she didn't slam me upside the head with something, and I feel like it was all my fault. If I had gone to Quilt Guild with Susan yesterday,--no, it could have happened anyway, because I'd probably have gone to the store after we got home. Well, into each l. some r. must fall.
~
A pretty picture or two to mend my mood:


2 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

This could happen any time, any where! It's something like a miracle it doesn't happen more often. I'm glad you only got a couple of broken fingernails, and hope they catch the skinny woman in the red jacket. I guess we all have to start being more careful.
Your Sister Trois

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh no! Mugged! It's unbelievable that people have the nerve to do something like that in broad daylight. She was probably desperate for drug money. I hope it was for food, but probably not. I also hope you didn't have a lot of money in your wallet. And I thank God you weren't hurt--well, except for the fingernails. That's bad enough.
Anyway, I didn't go to guild either. Decided I had too many other things that needed doing. But I didn't get mugged.