Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Are ye right there, Michael?"


I just spent a couple of hours listening to one of my videos of the Irish tenors. All the way from "Phil the Flouther's Ball" to "Ireland, Mother Ireland." I don't think we love America as much as the Irish love their land. If we did, maybe we too would have a civil war that has lasted four or five hundred years. I tried to do some jigging to the livelier tunes.


Ronan Tynan, the tallest Irish tenor, showed out by doing a jig now and then on his two artificial legs. Amazing. The concert was filmed in Belfast, and you never saw so many and varied shades of red hair in your life as sat in that audience. I only watch these videos once every couple of years, and this particular one (filmed in 2000) is not as excellent as the first one (1999). But it's worth sitting through it to hear Finbar Wright sing "The Isle of Innisfree," one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

No comments: