Monday, June 23, 2008

Grass shack, my eye! We want it all!

Awoke this morning to an Amazon sale of an old bound pamphlet that we bought at a Bham Library sale, 20 or 30 years ago, The Rulers of Hawaii. When I read last week that descendants of the Hawaiian royal family are reclaiming their titles and suing for their land (or payment for it), I immediately doubled the price of this book and tagged it with every relevant word I could think of. A publishing company in Honolulu bought it; maybe they're going to reissue it. It was published in the 1920s, so is probably out of copyright. I should have doubled the price several times. But I may have paid 50 cents for it, so $16 was a pretty good deal.

It's really interesting, illustrated with photographs way back into the 19th century, including photo of a painting of King Kamehameha I in his feather cloak. I used to have a color photo of that cloak that I clipped out of a magazine, that I'll include with the book if I can find it.



Later: This is probably the cloak I was thinking of. It was made for King K. IV, was restored in recent years and is in a Hawaii museum.

No comments: