Monday, February 9, 2009

Book Club Doings


Betty White just phoned to remind me of book club meeting Friday (Feb. 13) at the library. We talked about Shantaram for a long time. I know Jean is reading the book, and Pat has just started reading it. Peggy called me a few days ago and said she was going to read it later, probably borrow my copy.


Hostess for the March (13th) book club meeting is me. I need to go to the library and see if they can round up enough copies for everyone, as it's too expensive to expect everyone to buy it. "It" is Beverley Nichols's Down the Garden Path. It's nonfiction, but it has everything--humor, hatred, murder, love, etc. I've been searching online for discussion questions, but haven't found any yet.


Yesterday Sister Pat and I went to the thrift store, and I brought home this beautiful(?) sort of poison-green vase that I found irresistible. Also bought $4 worth of books, 2 of which were worth listing on Amazon.com.
*
The other two were books I wanted to read, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, which I've never read in my life, and an old paperback of Cyrano de Bergerac. Don't know why I wanted Cyrano, because there's a much-read hardback copy in the shelves. If you click the vase and enlarge it, you can see my reflection.
*
I do know why I bought the paperback. I was thinking I'd pick that for March book club. But I'm pretty sure the Nichols book is the one.

No comments: