Saturday, February 28, 2009

Favorite Movies

Today I added Gone With the Wind to my favorite movies. I always said that it was beautiful but not a good film, because (1) the main actors were too old except Gable, (2) Vivien Leigh's attempt at a southern accent made me sick, (3) they cast a big ugly horse-faced woman as Ellen O'Hara, (4) they made Pork sound like an idiot, (5) Clark Gable's hair looked like black shoe polish, etc.

The film was shown on TV one day recently, and I watched snatches and then the tail end of it. I don't think I've ever watched the whole movie at one sitting, but now I want to. I ordered a copy of the book, because I can't find my old worn-out one which I probably threw away after reading it all to pieces. I may get the DVD.

Vivien Leigh, Hattie MacDaniel, Leslie Howard, Olivia DeHavilland, Thomas Mitchell and Victor Jory were perfect. Gable was Gable.

In 1950, when I went north with Douglas, Betty Lou and Homer, we all spent a few days with Pat and John Stecks at John's nursery farm outside Chicago. We met a couple of their friends, who looked so much like O. DeHavilland and L. Howard it was astonishing.

Anyway, now I have to see GWTW from start to finish.

*
I also watched Titanic twice in the past week or so (on TV). It seems incredible that it was made in 1997. Incredible that 1997 was 12 years ago. Photos below (Titanic menu; the real Titanic, anchored at night off Cherbourg) were made by Frank Browne in 1912. "Father Browne" survived the disaster.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

GWTW is one of those movies that are so corny they're fun. I've seen it so many times, I can recite the dialog right along with the movie.