Friday, February 13, 2009

Red Hot Book Club Meeting!


I'm pretty sure this is my final fit of raving about Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts. My car wouldn't start this morning, so Susan picked me up on her way to the library where the club met today. She hadn't read the book, so on the way I told her the story, or most of it. Betty, who was the hostess this month, was even crazier about the book than I am. So, a noisy time was had by all, everybody talking at once while munching on Betty's delicious snacks.
*
We stopped by the grocery store and CVS on the way home, and I bought Mo a whole mess of canned cat food so he would stop fussing at me. I'll be glad when my craving for hot dogs goes away. I get these food fits, when all I want is one thing. I think I ate a dozen sacks of tangerines between Christmas and the first of February. Now I want Ball Park franks, roasted until they're nearly burnt. I tell myself that cravings probably reflect something that one's system needs, but it's hard to imagine what dietary necessity Ball Park franks have that something sensible wouldn't provide.