Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Another'n?

I'm thinking about doing the November novel thing again. Not by way of NaNoWriMo, with all its little side issues, word scrambling and socializing. Just write 1,700 words a day for 30 days and see what emerges. The biggest problem is that I can't rewrite, so the big chunks of prose that I've got tucked away somewhere will probably never be proper novels.

Don't say "can't." Of course I can. I'm just too lazy. Or have been heretofore. Writing is easy. Rewriting is torture.

Rewriting is not just correcting typos and adding descriptions. Rewriting is making a shapeless thing conform to some kind of architecture.

Ring Lardner said, "Riting is a nag." Dang you, Ring Lardner--get out of my head!

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

You should! Who knows - your attitude towards editing might change, but even if it doesn't your raw material is more polished than most finished product - and infinitely more interesting!

Ramey Channell said...

Well, you think too much. Don't think, just write. That's my prescription.