Sunday, February 17, 2013

Scam City

Yesterday morning the phone rang, and the man said he was with the Medicare office. As always when confronted with Authority, I thought, "What have I done now?"

"We're getting ready to send out the new Medicare cards, and I have to verify your name and address. Are you Joanne R. Cage at [my address]?" etc., until he got to, "What is the name of your bank?"

The key word is morning. Still in my morning fog, I said, "Regions."

"Is that the Regions bank in Leeds, Alabama?"

"Uh huh."

The man said, "We have to be absolutely sure we're sending this card to the correct person. Give me your routing number and account number, printed on the bottom of your check. Do you need a moment to get your checkbook?"

Finally my brain kicked in and began to work.

"Why do I need a new Medicare card?" I asked.

"We're issuing new cards to all seniors entitled before [some date]."

"Well," I said, "you have my address, so you can mail it to me if you want to." And I hung up.

I thought, I need to report this, for the benefit of people who may be even stupider than I am. But I couldn't think where to report it.

Part of me hopes I receive a new Medicare card, proving that I'm not any stupider than average.

*
"New Medicare scheme falsely claims new cards are being issued"
I found this online, so apparently everybody knew about it except me.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I didn't know it until today when I read it online. Glad the fog cleared before you gave out any pertinent info. My rule is to never give out info on the phone unless I'm the one who is doing the calling. Too many scams going on.

Ramey Channell said...

Scary! Too many scams going on.