Saturday, March 23, 2013

Squirrel Tails and Robin Tales














My squirrels' tails are outlined in white, and their underbellies are white also. Some time ago, Pat had an albino squirrel at her house. What I wouldn't give to see one of those!

This morning, waiting for the coffee water to boil, I glanced out the kitchen window and saw movement in the puddles under the trees. As I watched, the "movement" came close enough for me to see that it was a robin having a really good time, splashing in the puddle.
*
Our theme for the poetry meeting Monday night is "Re-". Re- anything. Thinking about it, I was reminded of an old (pre-1978) poem of mine, which I re-named "Rekindle."

Fire in the veins I had, a glow
of youth and poetry, and yearning
for adventure; far to go
I had, on dancing feet that knew no roots,
but I had seven-league boots,
I thought, to make the journey.

In glittering caverns, fingertip-
deep in rhyme,
I walked north, south
and upside down
where verses dripped,
honeyed verb and noun,
into my mouth
like water and lime.

Talents glinting like new gold
here, there and anywhere
I flung, largesse
strewn with a careless air
as if the mine were bottomless,
when I was young and bold.

Art in the hands I had,
lacked only time, that fled
and vanished faster
than hands could write of pain or laughter.

Then, gold and fire and water meeting
years back there or hours ago,
I learned what any fool should know--
that art as well as time was fleeting.
*
I have submitted/entered this poem all over the United States, and nobody has ever appreciated it. I personally think it's one of my best efforts. Somebody did publish it in a "chapbook." The original title was "Over My Shoulder."
*
(Mar. 30) I added this final stanza before the Monday night meeting:

But underneath the ashy coals
of time remains a spark--
O gleam, light up the dark!
Reshine the tarnished gold;
rekindle those young fires of old,
before the journey's close!

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

This poem is so unfathomably perfect, I'm stunned. I considered going to the poetry meeting and wondered what I could write about "RE." Good grief! Nobody could write anything after reading that!