Sunday, April 21, 2013

Happy Saturday

Last night Jed and I watched "Lincoln," the Spielberg film with Daniel Day Lewis, after a delicious dinner at Logan's. Earlier in the day, we attended the joint Georgia-Alabama Poetry Societies' meeting in Carrollton. Heard readings of lots of poems, including winners of the student contests. I was happy to see so many poet friends--Jerri, Emily and her daughter, Joe, Virginia, Beth, and others. I won three volumes of poems by the Pulitzer Prize winning poet, Natasha Trethewey, for which I'm so grateful. It was a very full and joyous day.

The Georgia Poetry Society hosted this meeting. The prizes were books instead of money, which I think is a good idea. The prizes I won were for two third places and one first.

The Lincoln film was very good. Daniel Day Lewis is such a fine actor. At first I didn't recognize good old Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens in a curly black wig. Sally Field was a great choice to play Mary Lincoln. I didn't know the actor who played Seward, but I liked his portrayal.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

Congratulations! Which of your poems won which contests?