Monday, April 29, 2013

Today

I'm cleaning the cook-top, and if that ever gets done, I've got to mail a book.

I was thinking about words that I hate. "Words" would be more like it. I can only think of two that are not obscene, just made up. "Woot" and "meme." People that use them tend to use them at every opportunity. And in the case of "meme," to misuse it, if a question of appropriate use can even be applied. Gad. As if there were not enough words in the languages.

***
I started cleaning the cook-top yesterday, and thought it would be a two-day job. About a dozen pieces have gone through the dishwasher, but it looks like the rest of the matter, studded with nails and screws, will take another day at least.
***
"Away by the river so clear,
the ladies were wending their way;
when Pharaoh's little daughter
stepped down in the water
to bathe in the cool of the day. . . "
***

"There has fallen a splendid tear
From the passionflower at the gate--
She is coming, my dove, my dear!
She is coming, my life, my fate!"

From "Maud" by Lord Tennyson

The passionflower is commonly called maypop. It grows wild, has edible fruit, as well as some medicinal properties.

***

9:00 p.m.: I finished the cooktop. Tomorrow I'll start on the stove hood.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Never did understand woot.

Ramey Channell said...

I totally agree and cringe!Can't stand "woot!" It's so irritating. And did someone just make up the word "meme?" It's so irritatingly dumb.