Saturday, September 14, 2013

X-square times 7x plus 23 equals eleven thirds

Well, I guess I've figured out how to convert my manuscript from 8-1/2 by 11 inches to 5.5 x 8.5, and still keep the page numbers consecutive. I've worked all morning on the thing, and still have to do the acknowledgments. And think of something for the cover, front and back.

Jed came over Wednesday and stayed until Friday morning. I forget what we did Wednesday and Thursday, aside from delicious lunches and dinners, but all day Friday was occupied here by the plumber, fixing a few things and installing others.

Wednesday night we watched Julian Fellowes' "Gosford Park" movie. Thursday night we tried to watch the 1996 "Hamlet" with Kenneth Branagh and Kate Winslett, but it was just too hysterical to watch all the way through. It was four hours long, and if Branagh had talked slower, it would probably have stretched to six hours. We watched about two hours of it.

I ought to have spent the weekend doing manual labor around the house, and letting my brain recover, but the manuscript is sort of an obsession. Is it enough to acknowledge prior publications, or do I have to ask permission of some of them?

Ring Lardner was right. "Riting is a nag."
*
I made a meatloaf yesterday, and I'm going to make a corn pudding and a salad, for my late lunch or early dinner today. As soon as I feel like standing up.
***
Lewis Carroll's stanza actually goes like this:

Yet what are all such gaieties to me
  Whose thoughts are full of indices and surds?
x2 + 7x + 53
        = 11 / 3.

No comments: