Thursday, March 13, 2014

Waiting

Every morning I get dressed, in case UPS or somebody delivers a box of books, and I spend the waiting time getting some chores done. So this week I've paid the bills, renewed my car tag, submitted entries to the writing contests of Alabama Conclave of Writers (first chapter of a novel, and one poem), Ala. State Poetry Soc. and National Federation of Poetry Societies (a bunch of poems to each), done many loads of laundry, and kept the house from molding over, I hope. I tried to read a book about some druids who were inducted into Caesar's army and went to Rome, but halfway through it I couldn't take any more so quit.

Yesterday evening I went over to Sister Susan's for her birthday bash, and that was a pleasant break. We feasted on pizza, chili, ice cream, and the most beautiful birthday cake I've ever seen.

Jed went to Texas last week, and unless he gets lost in that enormous state, he'll be back in Atlanta this weekend.

A neighbor down the street threw away a shelf section built of heavy lumber, and I toted it up to my place, thinking I would lay it down at the end of the driveway and plant flower seeds in it. I've got leftover packages of marigold, catchfly, cosmos, forget-me-nots and Shasta daisies. Maybe Jed can help me get it set up, next time he comes over here. My little hyacinths are trying to bloom along the front walkway.

"If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
and from thy slender store
two loaves alone to thee are left,
sell one, and with the dole
buy Hyacinths to feed thy Soul. "
--SADI  (Moslih Eddin), 13th century Persian poet

No comments: