Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Monday Poetry Night

We had a roomful of folks at the meeting last night, and a whole bunch of good poems were read. Joe had two really excellent sonnets, and I got him to sign my copy of his recent book, Learning To Tell Time.

When I walked in the door at the Arts Council, they were right indignant that I hadn't brought some of my books to sell. So I turned around and went and got some. I sold four copies. Joe and Sherry had already got theirs on Amazon. I was glad that Sister Ramey showed up for this meeting, but she didn't bring a poem to read.

Joan, Frank, Sherry, Grady Sue, John and Linda each read one or two poems. I read "Einstein's Brain," and Grady Sue made me recite "Marsupial Strabismus."

The book signing on Saturday is turning into a real party, which will be set up in the meeting room, and Joan has emailed me a list of items to include. I guess that will be my 15 minutes of (local) fame. Now I have to shop for tablecloths, napkins, flowers, food and drink, which will be lots of fun.

And I find that I'm expected to read "lots of poems" aloud. When I talk for a while, I usually start coughing. However, I can sing all day without coughing. Maybe I can read in a singing voice, like W.B. Yeats. That ought to be a blast.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

Hey! If you need me to bring anything, let me know. I was already planning to pick up a cake and soft drinks. Jed