Friday, September 9, 2016

Progress

Not quite 9 a.m., and I've already accomplished several things. I've decided to turn the story I've been working on into a novel, and spent some time this morning doing some research. Have one notebook for research, and will probably fill up that and another one with notes and stuff I've already done for the story. I've thought about calling it "Grendel's Children," but that's a joke. So I'm going to try to spend my time working on this. I think I've done enough reading my poems to a group, and reading stuff chosen by someone else and trying to find something polite to say about it. I'm not talking about the books Jed and I both read and share, but about the book club.

I've found some good friends through the book club, but as far as the group goes, they don't read the kind of writing that I read.


Yesterday after the meeting, Joan took me into the nave of the Presbyterian church. It is small, but very beautiful. She showed Nell and me their organ, and played a hymn that almost sent me into a trance. She also told us some of the history of the church. I value Joan and Frank, and somehow, especially, Carole, although she hardly ever says anything. Maybe that's one of the things I like about her. I think I gave her the Indian Hatchet quilt that I made ten years or so ago. I miss Jean M., Mable, and Betty W.

Although Betty called Muslims "Muslins," she at least chose and read good books, especially Shantaram. Mable and Jean also read a lot. Jean read classics and knew a whole lot of good stuff.

Anyway, I intend to "endeavor to persevere" with this novel business until I have something complete. Remaining time allowing.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love to hear Joan play that organ.