Friday, July 17, 2009

"The lunatic, the lover and the poet..."

Through my sister Susan's blog, I find that the Charming Girls Quilt Club members have been tagged to answer the following questions, which will give us an extra entry in this month's prize drawing. So here are my answers.


1. My favorite fabric: I'm not familiar with many brands and designers, except that when I really love a fabric, it usually turns out to be from Cranston.

2. The pattern I'm most looking forward to finishing is my patchwork interpretation of an antique appliqued leaf quilt. The original, called "Halcyon Days," is featured in Quilts for All Seasons, a book compiled by my sister Susan, edited by Patricia Wilens, and published by Oxmoor House in 1993. My quilt is almost finished, just lacking one corner quilted and the edges bound. I think this will be my UFO for August.














3. The food that is my weakness is currently Ball Park franks.

4. If I knew I couldn't fail, i.e., that it would be worth reading, I would write another novel.

5. The best "life advice" I know is "love God and do what you will" (so said St. Augustine). The premise being that if you love God, you'll try very hard not to do anything to offend Him.


I have great difficulty accessing Charming Chatter/Charming Girls. I spend about five minutes just getting into the site, then get confused about where to post, and getting back to the main page takes another five or so. It's probably the fault of my computer having too many encumbrances and not enough memory left, I don't know. But I wish Kelly and some of the members would visit Sourwood Mountain to say hi and to check my progress on the Una quilt.


I've been sewing since 7:00 this morning, and am just about ready to start on the border of the quilt top. So I do expect to have it finished by the end of the month.

*

My sewing machine is currently situated in the living room, adjacent to the TV cabinet. This more or less slows down the sewing, but keeps me entertained. I just watched "A Midsummer Night's Dream" on TCM. This is one of the most delightful films I've ever seen. It was made in 1935, and I've seen it maybe a dozen times; I first found it in a video rental place about 1985. It's a charming and rather spooky production of Shakespeare's play; if it had been filmed in color, it probably wouldn't be spooky, but it's all black and gray. Victor Jory plays Oberon, the fairy king. James Cagney and Joe E. Brown are the chief and funniest of the players who produce "Pyramis and Thisbe," the play within the play. Dick Powell and Olivia De Havilland are the main love interest, and little bitty Mickey Rooney is the craziest Robin Goodfellow imaginable. Some of the theme music is suspiciously similar to that of "The Wizard of Oz" film.

AMND is at least as good as The Wizard. It's mostly populated by little people and fairies, and everybody can fly except the humans. The caption of this post is from the play; it's the (human) king's statement of those who have the most vivid imagination.

4 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love that leaf quilt.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Hey Jo: I left a comment on Charming Girls blog that you were having trouble signing on and that you had answered your questions on your blog. I left your URL too so Charming Girl members can visit your blog.

PancerBali said...

It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreRee Bali ***

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Joanne, your quilt is B-E-A-utiful! You wrote a novel -- how exciting. I do hope you'll share more about it in a future post. Great quote -- thanks for sharing with us! As a side note, I changed some settings on my blog that seem to help it load more quickly on my computer--let me know if it helps on your end. Thanks again for sharing. So glad to have you in the club.