Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Doctor Zhivago

TCM is showing this film, and I'm posting this during the intermission. When I first saw this movie in the late 1960's, I thought it was the best movie that was ever made. I haven't changed my mind, and don't expect to.

(Wednesday:) However, I promise myself not to read any more Russian novels. Over the last 60 years, I've read three by Tolstoy, three by Dostoevsky, and one by Pasternak. Not to mention stories by the more cheerful Chekov, who if I remember right at least wasn't into axe murders or death by snow.

Of the Germans, I've read three Hesse novels and some Schiller plays. I've read two French novels in French, which is the best way to read them, as you're not quite certain what they're about. In junior high school, one of our books had a bowdlerized story about Cosette and Jean Valjean, which ought to be enough of Les Miserables for anybody, especially if you've seen the multiple movies. And I read about half of Don Quixote, and two-and-a-half Garcia Marquez works.

I also read Balzac's Pere Goriot (in English), and I liked it. And they're all good books, but from now on I think I'm sticking to English classics and American trivia. Once you've waded through Hemingway and Moby Dick, and yawned through Scott Fitzgerald and a few others, you're due a little entertainment in your retirement.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I was 5 when this movie came out. I remember my mom and my grandma went to see it. I think it must have been a chick flick to my dad and grandpa! It has a wonderful musical score. I haven't seen the remake, have you? Sometimes the remakes don't do the originals justice.

Joanne Cage said...

I haven't seen the remake. Not sure I want to. I wasn't even aware of it until recently.