Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Turtles All the Way Down, by John Green****

To me, this seems the most complex and interesting of all the John Green books I have read. The four teenagers, Aya, Daisy, Davis, and Noah react in different ways to the disappearance of Mr. Pickett, the boys' billionaire father. Aya's father died several years earlier, and she knows something of what the boys are going through. She sympathizes especially with Noah, Pickett's younger son, who grieves for his father, whereas Davis the older son knows his father's darker side and has moments of being glad the man is gone. Aya and Davis love each other, at least as good friends, and their relationship is affected by Aya's lifelong mental problems. Daisy is more practical minded than her friend, and she tells Aya to forget about the search for Mr. Pickett, but Aya refuses and eventually finds a solution to the mystery.

This is a wonderful book. It's strange that the most recent two books I've read were both about a disappearing person and an obsessive searcher who solves the mystery.

Jed came over yesterday. He brought me the John Green book, and I read it last night and today. Yesterday we drove to Moody and explored a large, very nice retirement community. I've been thinking about whether I should give up my house full of junk and stairs in favor of an orderly and patterned residence for my late years. So far, the answer is "no," but who knows what I'll think tomorrow.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I constantly fantasize about living in a nice flat apartment or garden home with a tiny yard or no yard at all. It just seems so complicated and impossible to make the change.

Deb said...

When Laura moves out, which will be this time next year, after my hip surgery, I am not sure what to do with the extra room. I had thought of moving when next year's lease is up to a 1 bedroom apartment. I may stay here and have a sewing/craft room.
There is a community here that is really nice. You can have your own little apartment with a small patio. Everyone is 60 and older, which would be nice. Maybe I would find someone who crafts and reads!
Hugs đź’–