Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Man, what a dream that was!

On the Amazon soapbox yesterday, someone was telling about rescuing a mastiff that was near death from starvation, and that gained 20 pounds in 2 weeks. That reminded me of the lady on "The Dog Whisperer" who rescued and trained mastiffs. Then last night I started re-reading The House of the Spirits, and got a little past the part where Clara raised Uncle Marcos's puppy Barrabas, who grew to the size of a colt.

Then I dreamed I had this huge dog who I was afraid would keep on growing. Really, he was just a German shepherd, but he was mostly black and looked fierce. Laziest dog that ever was born, and never made a sound, and I wondered if he was really a GS, and if he could really bark. Then one evening I looked out the screen door and a big half-grown pig was standing on the porch. I threw the door open and hollered, "Get away from here, pig!" And mixed with the pig, a whole bundle of cats and kittens exploded in a corner of the porch and tumbled down the steps, from where they had been sleeping on top of the (sleeping) dog. The dog jumped to his feet and shook himself awake, looked around as if to say, "Did somebody call me?"

I said, "And you said you were going to be my watchdog, if I would let you stay!"

In the last few days I haven't been doing anything creative except thinking. x2 + 7x + 23 = 11/3, and such. Oh--about The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, I really did like that book, especially the ending. And another one that I read lately was Mr. Timothy; I loved Colin, the Dickensian kid who was sort of a nasty little Baker Street Irregular.

1 comment: