Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Praise...

Morning has broken, like the first morning,
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird.
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning,
Praise for the springing fresh from the Word.


Cat Stevens, Freddie Fender, Otis Redding...
where have all the voices gone, I wonder.
Listen: the wind sounds like the voices softly
singing; hear the music in the thunder...
Y

Added Sat., Aug. 18: Re: Voices - Elvis and Maria Callas are the only two singers I've heard of who could allegedly sing 3 octaves. I read this a long time ago about Elvis. And I've seen different stories about Callas: some say she was one note short of 3 octaves, and others say she hit a high E in an unrecorded performance. Wouldn't E.P. have made a great operatic baritone or tenor?

Nice Matters

My sister Susan at Blackberry Creek Winter nominated me and Sourwood Mountain to receive this "Nice Matters" award. The originator of the award, Penny at Lavender Hill Studios (her blog), wrote: "This award will be given to those that are just nice people, good blog friends and those that inspire good feelings and inspiration! Those that care about others that are there to lend support or those that are just a positive influence in our blogging world!"

What an honor! I thank Penny for creating the award, and send my heartfelt thanks to Susan for nominating me.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

The choir sang this at church a few weeks ago. It always makes me cry. But then, what doesn't.
Sister, I have nominated you and Sourwood Mountain for the prestigeous "Nice Matters" award. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I got nominated and I wanted you to share the glory. If you like, you can go to Blackberry Creek, right click on the award, save it to your Picutres, and post it on your blog. Congratulations on this momentous accomplishment. Love,--Suze