Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chopin Etude Opus 10, No. 3

This is the best recording anyone had posted of this piece on Youtube, although the old guy looks and moves like a zombie. He plays it as Chopin wrote it down. Mrs. Rogers always said that was the best way to play any composer's work. I had heard this etude (in a Cornell Wilde movie), but didn't know the name of it, when I was taking piano from Mrs. Rogers, and I tried and tried to communicate to her what it was, and to get her to get the sheet music for me, but she couldn't recognize my picking out the melody on the piano.

I'm all uptight about having the club meeting at the library--what can I serve them for snacks? Have no idea. All I can think of is cheese and crackers and wine. I could live on those three items, myself, though I don't know for how long. Mable is coming and is reading the book for the second time. I love Mable, although her accent reminds me of Mary Riley {{{{shudder}}}}. Actually, I loved Mary, too, but we had some merry go-arounds in my early days with Social Security.

Mary was the office supervisor in Selma. One day I was hunched over my desk, totally absorbed in a file, and ker-bang! Mary slammed a stack of files down on my desk. I caught myself, standing with the Scotch-tape holder drawn back like Tom Glavine about to deliver one at her back as she walked away. All eyes except Mary's were on me, when I realized, uh-uh, we don't clout the supe. Mary read "Gerth" (that's how she pronounced Goethe; I've never pronounced it myself, and don't plan to).

The picture is of me in Selma, about 1978.

Is this still Wednesday? I better go to bed.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Cheese and wine are always good. That is the cutest picture.

Ramey Channell said...

That picture of you is so cute!