Thursday, April 17, 2008

Did I say that?

Went to bed early last night, but Mo woke me up about 4 a.m. After some coffee and breakfast, I spent hours searching Britannica and the old literature books, trying to find out why I said Caesar plucked his beard instead of shaving. Romans had been shaving with sharp instruments for at least 300 years before Julius Caesar was born. I don't know where I got the idea.

At last, Woods, Watts and Anderson's The Literature of England, Volume I, fell open to Beowulf, so I spent a couple of hours reading that, thinking of Beowulf and his companions as depicted in the movie, The Thirteenth Warrior. I had forgot what a wonderful (and readable) story it is. I also read the footnotes, which is why it took so long.

Someday I'll rewrite the last stanza of the poem, restoring his razor or barber to Caesar. Britannica stated, "Caesar was not, and is not, lovable." I thought that was amusing--as if a person whose brain travels about 90 mph, 24/7 his entire life, has time to worry about being lovable.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

Clearly, you thought Caesar was an American Indian!

Jed