Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sourwood Mountain

Under the Music Link, I've added an old lady, a long time ago, singing her version of "Sourwood Mountain." I've never seen or heard two versions of it that were alike. This one has just a bar or two of the tune I know, but it's all messed up. Here's my version of the words:

Roosters crow on the Sourwood Mountain,
"Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!
So many pretty girls, I can't count 'em!
Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!"
Old man, old man, I want your daughter--
Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!
To cook my bread and tote my water,
Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day! **

I've got a girl, lives up in the fletcher-- **
She won't come, and I won't fetch her! **
I've got a girl, lives down in the holler-- **
She won't wait, and I won't foller! **

I've got a girl who's a brown-eyed daisy-- **
But she won't work, and I'm too lazy. **
Big dog barks and little dog bites you-- **
Big girl sparks and little girl spites you. **

My true love's a blue-eyed daisy, **
If I don't get her, I'll go crazy, **
My true love lives up the river, **
A few more jumps and I'll be with her, **

Roosters crow on the Sourwood Mountain,
"Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!
So many pretty girls, I can't count 'em!
Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!"
Old man, old man, I want your daughter--
Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!
I'll chop her wood and tote her water,
Hi de ho, dee deedle-um day!

*

For those innocents who don't know, "sparking" was the same as "courting." Men used to clean up to go "sparking."

*

I've sort of learned how to make videos with sound, with my camera. If I ever learn how to get one onto the blog, I'll treat y'all to one verse with the tune. I remember Paw Paw singing snatches of this. The actor James Cromwell reminds me so much of him, if only J.C. were not so cool, clean and white! Paw Paw wasn't dirty, but he was burnt-copper colored and warm.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I love this picture and remember the day it was made, and remember the converstaion.

I remember PawPaw singing She Claimed She Was a Virgin Just Nineteen Years Old! And Daddy singing If You Want To Go Courtin'.