Monday, January 26, 2009

Shantaram

I'm about putting my eyes out reading this book. But it's so good, I can't stop. Which is not altogether a good thing. With many a good book, after reading the last page, I wish I hadn't read it so fast, wish I were back in the middle of it.

A word of encouragement about the names and foreign words. I believe that in India, words and names are pronounced almost exactly as we would pronounce them in English. What you see is what you say. Maybe with a somewhat broader A in some words.

The man spent nearly 20 years writing this book, so I shouldn't swallow it all at one long gulp. But I'll read it again, Lord willing. Glad I bought it.

Just remembered--poetry reading is tonight at the Arts Council, at 7:00. I haven't been to a meeting in several months, and don't have any new poems, but will try to print out one or two old ones that might be of interest.

No comments: