Thursday, September 15, 2011

Other houses, other rooms

I've decided to put all my dollhouse furnishings and people back in the old metal bookcase. It originally consisted of nine rooms and a rooftop garden, and I'll either have to use all those things I made or throw them away. Throwing away stuff I've made is not something I like to do.

When I finish working on the big dollhouse, I will sell it for the highest bid. Which will probably be less than the house and staircase cost in the first place.

The Bedroom in the Yellow House at Arles

September is halfway over, and for 15 days I've been trying to write a poem for the fall ASPS contests. A poem about Vincent Van Gogh's painting of his bedroom at Arles. He said he was going to get total rest until he was healthy again. Though how he expected to rest in a purple room with green chairs, yellow sheets and and a blood-red bedspread-- The walls don't look purple in this picture, but he wrote to his brother and said the walls of the room were lavender. He must have liked the room. He painted it three times.
*
Strange how many yellow houses there are. Vincent's Yellow House at Arles. Jared's little yellow house next door, which is the pretty view from my kitchen window. One of my sisters lives in a yellow house.

4 comments:

Deb said...

My goodness, it seems like ages since I have been on my computer. Keeping busy getting the new place finally finished. Unpacked the last box!
I love the Van Gogh. I went to wikipedia and put in bedroom in Arles.At the bottom,it shows the three versions that he painted. The first has bold, harsh lines. The second, more soft in outlines and the lilac walls stand out. The third is the one with the lightest coloring and the outlining blends in. If you notice the room itself, it changes in each painting. The pictures on the walls, the position of objects, and in the last, the chairs seem to have cushions on them, or he has given the seats color. If you do a poem about the painting, please put it on your blog. I'd love to see it.
I hope all has been well with you. Is it getting cooler in Alabama yet? It is here and I love it! Just don't want snow yet!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs...

Ramey Channell said...

I've always felt connected in some way with Vincent. In college I wrote a thesis "Searching for Vincent" in an art history class. He was in a mental hospital at St. Remy, where he shot himself on July 27, 1890. His last words were "The sadness will last forever."

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

And your niece Andy will soon live in her own little yellow house.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh yeah, and Sherry Whisenhunt lives in a yellow house too.