Friday, September 23, 2011

Pizza At Last!

Yesterday Ramey stopped by after work with a load of pizza, cupcakes, and lots of other goodies! We had a feast, and I've got pizza and other necessities for the weekend.

Later, I watched the New York Philharmonic on PBS, playing Richard Strauss's Salome, based on the play by Oscar Wilde. I don't like Richard Strauss, he was "Hitler's composer," very anti-Semitic and pro-Nazi. But musically he was a genius. That's not to say his music appeals to me. It is great, but not appealing. Salome was terrifying, especially the parts sung by Deborah Voigt, a very powerful dramatic soprano. I guess I'm glad I finally sat through something by R. Strauss, but once was enough.

This is probaby the least horrible illustration by Beardsley, for Wilde's play.

*

I said Strauss was a genius, but that's just hearsay. It's what "they" say. What do I know?

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Don't say pizza in front of a dieting woman.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Or cupcakes either.

JD Atlanta said...

Perhaps pie companies should use Strauss music instead of their existing jingles. Then you could dislike them both at the same time!!

Joanne Cage said...

I like Johann Strauss ("Blue Danube," "Die Fledermaus"). But not Richard Strauss. If an obnoxious commercial used Strauss music, they'd be sure to use Johann, and then I'd have to listen to the jingles.

Ramey Channell said...

Oh, I commented here a few days ago that I like Aubrey Beardsley. His artwork makes me feel very 'tangled in the fallen vines' of the late 1960s. But I see my comment was sabotaged, probably by Johann Strauss.