Saturday, January 7, 2012

Book Club and Other Stuff

It's January, and as far as I know, no one has mentioned resuming book club. It's probably just as well.

During the twelve days of Christmas, I got old. It seems to be different for different people, the point at which one surrenders and admits to being old. For me, it was a day when I realized that I feel, not just tired, but superannuated. I think I need a new hairstyle. Or A hairstyle. What's a good style for thin, gray, straight, baby-fine, flyaway locks? If you can call them locks. Maybe like Mirren.

Would need a face-lift to go along with the style. And lots of makeup. All of which really boil down to lots of money.

I have to say that for me, December was the best month of 2011. Dec. 31st wasn't the best day of that year, but at least it was the last one. I wish everyone I know, and don't know, a Happy New Year, and I hope to goodness everyone wishes me the same. A year with no broken doors, broken teeth, broken resolutions, flooded basements, carcinomas, new stray cats, paucity of poetry prizes, lost things-- Last week I laid a newly opened deck of smokes and a lighter somewhere, and have been looking for them ever since. "Many are the travelers . . . "

I think this year I'll read Walden again. And The Once and Future King. Hank's poem about Lynn, in Then We Came To the End, was heartrending. That was really a good book, worthy of all the prizes it won.

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

i have a passing thought for book club almost daily. But so far haven't got around to doing anything.

JD Atlanta said...

I had lunch at the Mexican restaurant again on Saturday, and Pearla (the waitress you met) kept going on about how beautiful you are, and how you have the prettiest blue eyes. Just like mine! So maybe you shouldn't be so hard on yourself!

Jed

Ramey Channell said...

Very pretty picture. I would personally go for a shorter version of this hair-do. I've come to prefer the short hair-do.

Joanne Cage said...

Trouble is, the short cut shows the wrinkles in the back of my neck. It's always something.

Deb said...

I have never understood why we try to be someone we are not. Sure, sometimes we pretend, but under all the coloring, perming, face-lifts, etc, we really are the same person. I believe I have earned the grey hair, the wrinkles, etc. With 5 girls, I think I look pretty good! Laura told me that she can't wait for me to be totally grey. She said it's very sophisticated! At last, I'll be a lady!!
Hugs....